Home
 
 
History
 
Whatever Happened to the Municipal Bank

This website records the history of the Birmingham Municipal Bank up to November 20th 1979, the date when the Bank finally severed its formal links with Birmingham Corporation. But of course, the Bank continued its existence, albeit under different identities.

 

The changes in the BMB's identities were a consequence of the Government accepting the recommendations of the Report of the Committee to Review National Savings (known as the Page Report - Cmnd. 5273 HMSO June 1973). Basically, the Government agreed to the modernisation of TSBs' services, subject to the Banks being based on regions, rather than a mixture of large and small towns. The Page Committee also recommended that the BMB should adapt to any new arrangements proposed for trustee savings banks.

 

The Page Report's suggestion was that the TSBs should amalgamate into 16 to 20 regions, so as to eliminate the enormous disparity that existed in the size of the individual banks. At one extreme, the London & South Eastern and the Glasgow Savings Banks had funds of 257 million and 190 million respectively (BMB: 114 million), while there were fifteen banks with less than 10 million, and three Scottish banks with under 1 million.

 

The subsequent 1976 amalgamations resulted in eighteen Regional TSBs, with the BMB's initial move to become the Birmingham Municipal TSB (BMTSB)  making it the nineteenth Regional TSB pending a further rationalisation in 1979 when amalgamation with the TSB of the Midlands produced the TSB of Birmingham and The Midlands (see below). Only two small banks in Scotland failed to comply with the new administrative arrangements, although the fiercely independent and conservatively minded North Staffordshire Bank remained autonomous until 1983 (see below). The 19 regions (and their constituent banks) were:
      1 - Aberdeen (Aberdeen; Inverness)
      2 - Birmingham (Birmingham Municipal Bank)
      3 - Channel Islands (Guernsey; Jersey)
      4 - Eastern England (Cambridge; East Anglian; East Midlands; Northampton)
      5 - Lancashire & Cumbria (Blackburn; Chorley; Cumbrian; Preston)

      6 - Leicester & Nottingham (Leicester; Nottingham)
      7 - Mid-Lancashire & Merseyside (Liverpool; Bolton; Wigan; Ormskirk)
      8 - Midlands (Coventry; Walsall; Wolverhampton)
      9 - North East (Northumberland & Durham; Sunderland)

    10 - North Staffordshire (North Staffordshire)
    11 - North West Central (Ashton-under-Lyne; Bury; Derby; Leigh; Manchester; Stockport; Warrington)
    12 - Northern Ireland (Belfast; Enniskillen)
    13 - South East (Essex; London & South Eastern; Oxford; Portsmouth; Surrey; Thames Valley)
    14 - South of Scotland (Border Counties; Dunfermline; Edinburgh; South of Scotland)
    15 - South West (Bristol; Exeter; Plymouth; Somerset & Wilts; Wessex)
    16 - Tayside & Central Scotland (Arbroath; Cupar; Dundee; Falkirk; Kirkcaldy; Laurencekirk; Montrose; Newburgh; Perth; Stirling)
    17 - Wales & Borders (Chester; South Wales East; South West Wales; West Midland)
    18 - West of Scotland (Alexandria; Bute; Cambeltown; Glasgow; Paisley)
    19 - Yorkshire & Lincoln (Huddersfield; Hull; Leeds; Lincoln; Sheffield; York)

 

The Head Offices of 18 of the regions (ie, excluding Mid-Lancashire & Merseyside) were illustrated in the following TSB advertisement:


 

 

 

In 1995, TSB merged with Lloyds Bank to form Lloyds TSB Group plc. Earlier, Lloyds had merged with the Cheltenham & Gloucester Building Society. Subsequently, in January 2009, HBOS (previously Halifax Building Society and Bank of Scotland) was acquired. Later that year, the British Government took a 43.4% stake in the Lloyds Banking Group.

 

As a condition imposed by the European Commission regarding state aid, the group later announced that it would create a new standalone retail banking business under the TSB name. The new TSB combined former branches of Lloyds, Cheltenham & Gloucester, and TSB. The new TSB commenced business on September 9th 2013.

 

By that date, there were 18 branches operating in former BMB premises. Eight of these premises returned to the TSB brand:

 - Great Barr (893 Walsall Road)

 - Longbridge (1401 Bristol Road South)

 - Oldbury (21 Birmingham Street)

 - Perry Barr (293 Birchfield Road)

 - Pype Hayes (979 Tyburn Road)

 - Saltley (156 Alum Rock Road)

 - Sheldon (2136 Coventry Road)

 - Stirchley (1507 Pershore Road)

 

The remaining 10 branches became part of Lloyds Bank:

 - Chelmsley Wood (3 Maple Walk)

 - Cotteridge (1846 Pershore Road)

 - Handsworth (162 Soho Road)

 - Kingstanding (595 Kingstanding Road)

 - Kitts Green (131 Lea Village)

 - Maypole (2 Hawkhurst Road)

 - Shirley (248 Stratford Road)

 - Springfield (797 Stratford Road)

 - Weoley Castle (153 Weoley Castle Road)

 - Yardley (102 Church Road)

In 1992, the national headquarters for TSB Bank plc  was moved to Birmingham and located in the former Head Post Office, now known as Victoria House
(right)
From November 21st 1979, the BMB's network of 72 branches was amalgamated with the 42 branches of the TSB of the Midlands to form the Trustee Savings Bank of Birmingham and the Midlands. The Headquarters of the new Bank (known as the Regional Administration) was located in BMTSB's Broad Street office, Birmingham, but accommodation was also taken in the nearby Alpha Tower (right) in order to house the whole of the new administration. The total customer balances of the new bank was 310,908,000 making it the seventh largest of the regional Trustee Savings Banks.

 

The Board of Management and Senior Officers of the bank were as follows:


    Chairman: P H V Twist, BA (Cantab) *
    Vice-Chairman: Councillor A D Martineau, MA (Cantab) *

 

    Trustees:
      Councillor H B Adkins
      Councillor A Coombs
      Councillor N Hargreaves, B.Com (Hons SPS) *
      E H Hickton, JP, FRIBA
      Councillor W R Lewis, JP
      Councillor H McCallion, JP
      R D Nixon, MA
      S L Penn
      J P Round
      J W P Turner, LL.B *
            (*Custodian Trustees)

 

    Regional General Manager: J W Hoccom, MBE, IPFA, FIB
    General Manager: J Scobie, FIB
    Assistant General Managers:
      - Finance: D J Parkes, ACCA, AIB
      - Operations: N A Worwood, AIB
      - Personnel: G W Orton, JP, AIB
      - Services: T J Owles, AIB

The above position continued until November 20th 1983, when, with the continuing growth of services and numbers of customers, a reorganisation of the TSB structure was made in order to facilitate future growth. Up until this date, the 19 Regional TSBs had retained their individual identities, but the 1983 reorganisation resulted in just four banks: TSB England and Wales; TSB Scotland; TSB Northern Ireland; and TSB Channel Islands.

 

TSB England & Wales, however, was still managed on a regional basis, and the branch network of TSB Birmingham & the Midlands was amalgamated with the branch networks of TSB Wales & Border Counties and North Staffs TSB, to form a region to be administered from Birmingham. It was at this date that North Staffs TSB gave up their independence under the threat of being excluded from the on-line-real-time computer system. The administration functions were re-housed under one roof by a move to an office block in Sheldon, Birmingham.

 

Under the umbrella of TSB Group plc, the organisation was floated on the Stock Exchange in 1986, the most radical change in the history of savings banks since their inception in Dumfriesshire in 1810. TSB England and Wales became TSB Bank plc in 1989.