Home
 
Birmingham Corporation Savings Bank -
Account Transfers to the
Birmingham Municipal Bank
 
In the period September 1st 1919 to March 31st 1920, 21,482 accounts with balances amounting to 325,411 were transferred from the wartime Birmingham Corporation Savings Bank (BCSB) to the replacement Birmingham Municipal Bank.
 
The following table shows which branches were the recipient of those accounts. Not surprisingly, with the Head Office of both Banks being in the same location in Edmund Street, and all the newly opened branches being in temporary premises, the majority of accounts were 'transferred' to Head Office. Many of the accounts transferred to Head Office probably did so by default - the depositors not having chosen any specific branch.
 
In this period there were three types of branch:
 
    A - Branches open on a daily basis
    B - Branches open on alternate days
    C - Evening Branches
 
 
Depositors' Department
 
 
Birmingham Corporation
Savings Bank
 
Sept
Oct
Nov
Dec
Jan
Feb
Mar
Total
Head Office
A
1,542 484 2,518   711 258 8,202 13,715 159,144
Aston
A
249 280   203 9   9 750 17,096
Handsworth
A
278 83 113   4 3 3 484 9,558
Lozells
A
238 127   143 16 8   532 11,234
Small Heath
A
179 481   314   32 2 1,008 21,962
Sparkbrook
A
758 233   270   46 8 1,315 27,859
Ladywood
B
109 245   102 17   1 474 9,146
Bearwood
B
    12     2 2 16 181
Harborne
B
37 105 37     4 1 184 2,354
Duddeston
B
213 80     96 23 1 413 9,826
Saltley
B
177 85       57 12 331 10,248
Acocks Green
C
73 48 34     4   159 3,485
Balsall Heath
C
104 71       94 8 277 5,547
Erdington
C
68 60 3     109 3 243 4,436
Hay Mills
C
59 116       62 4 241 4,844
Kings Heath
C
121 25 51     6 51 254 3,871
Northfield
C
35   99     6   140 7,589
Rotton Park
C
68 68       219 16 371 6,896
Selly Oak
C
182 94 280     13 2 571 10,119
Stirchley
C
          2 2 4 16
                     
    4,490 2,685 3,147 1,032 853 948 8,327 21,482 325,411
The transfers of Depositors' accounts to the newly established Birmingham Municipal Bank followed action taken by the Corporation Savings Bank Publicity Sub-Committee. At a meeting of the Sub-Committee held on Friday, August 22nd 1919 the [General] Manager reported that he had circularised all the depositors of the Bank with deposits over 1/- with reference to the transfer of their accounts to the new Bank, enclosing transfer form, list of branch banks, and replies were now coming in.
 
The Sub-Committee approved the action of the [General] Manager, whose documentation is reproduced below:
The Prize Draw referred to by J P Hilton was one of a number schemes employed to encourage savings in the Bank.
 
As shown by the above chart, transfers took place over a period of months from September 1919 to March 1920. The transfers involved a large volume of work in creating new ledgers, signature books, indexes, etc. Much of this work took place in a short period prior to the opening of the new Bank on September 1st 1919 - as recorded in a photograph taken at that time.
 
Transfers were recorded in the BCSB ledgers with the aid of a rubber stamp. The example below shows that the temporary bank's first depositor transferred his account to Kings Heath branch ("P") where it was opened as Account Number 236. And the list of branches (below) gives the finalised addresses, and hours of opening, of the BMB's 1920 branch network.
BACK TO THE TOP