Frank Malcolm Thompson
joined the Staff of the Birmingham Municipal Bank in 1926 and was appointed Branch Manager in 1947 and Inspector in 1965.
years on the Staff of the Bank he has acquired a great deal of experience in all facets of the work, being lately responsible for
the introduction for the introduction and management of the Current Accounts Department, which is based on a central accounting system.
Thompson is a past Chairman of the Bank's Staff Association, and the present Chairman of the Birmingham Branch of the Savings Banks
Institute. He qualified as an Associate of the Institute of Bankers in 1935, subsequently became an Associate of the Savings Banks
Away from the office Mr Thompson can best be described as a family man deriving great pleasure from the simple things of
life. He takes pride in his garden where he spends many happy and relaxing hours.
(SBI Journal - May 1969)
April 1st 1970
to March 31st 1973: H G Corles
Horace George Corles, educated at King Edward VI Five Ways Grammar School, joined the service of the
Birmingham Municipal Bank in 1924 and over the years has acquired a very wide knowledge of the savings banks movement and of savings
bank work in general.
He is a Branch Inspector and his practical knowledge, together with his discerning and helpful character
is a valuable asset to the Bank, as it will also be to the Institute, on his election to the Council by the Committee of Management
of the Birmingham Municipal Bank.
Mr Corles is keenly interested in Rotary and is a member of the local National Savings Committee.
He qualified as an Associate of the Institute of Bankers in 1935 and subsequently became an Associate of the Savings Banks Institute.
a family man, Mr Corles delights in the company of his fellow men and his social activities are varied, with a particular interest
in the work of his local church and a more than passive interest in the choral society.
(SBI Journal - May 1970)
1971 to March 31st 1974: J W Hoccom
Joseph William Hoccom brings a varied experience to the service of the Institute.
the Birmingham Municipal bank in 1939 and after war service qualified as an Associate of the Institute of Bankers in 1949.
Hoccom then transferred to the City Treasurer's Department and later to the Municipal Allotments Department. During this period he
qualified as an Associate of the Institute of Municipal Treasurers and Accountants.
He returned to the bank as assistant accountant
in 1964 and was appointed assistant general manager in 1969 and deputy general manager in 1970. He is a Fellow of the Savings Banks
Mr Hoccom is married with a son and two daughters and, as might be expected from his past career, his interests lie
in all aspects of accounting, including the use of computers, and, by way of complete contrast, in growing good wholesome vegetables
in considerable quantities.
(SBI Journal - May 1971)
April 1st 1973 to March 31st 1976: N C Goddard
Norman Charles Goddard
joined the staff of the Birmingham Municipal Bank on leaving school in 1930 and has progressed in his career from junior to senior
branch manager, then to branch inspector, with a recent further promotion to head office superintendent.
The only interruption to his
bank career came with the outbreak of hostilities and from 1940 he spent most of the war years with AA Command, served in India subsequent
to his being commissioned and was demobilised in 1946 with the rank of Captain.
He was a keen sportsman in his youth with Rugby football
and tennis as his main activities, but tends now to be content with regular visits to the Warwickshire County Cricket Ground at Edgbaston
during the season.
As a past member of the Branch Committee, Norman is looking forward with anticipation to a term of office on the
(SBI Journal - May 1973)
April 1st 1974 to March 31st 1977: J E Ager
John Edward Ager commenced his career with
the Birmingham Municipal Bank in 1938, after leaving Waverley Grammar School, Birmingham.
His bank service was interrupted by the outbreak
of war and he volunteered for the Royal Air Force in 1941, serving in various parts of Europe before his demobilisation in 1946.
his return to the bank, he served for fourteen years on the management committee of the staff association, for most of this time holding
the office of honorary treasurer.
He qualified as an Associate of the Institute in 1949 and was appointed branch manager in 1960 followed
by promotion to branch inspector in 1972. From 1st April 1974, when the bank came under the jurisdiction of the new Birmingham Metropolitan
District Council, he took up a new appointment as chief superintendent/personnel officer.
A married man with two sons, he has a wide
variety of social interests, and has been a lifelong supporter of Birmingham City Football Club.
(SBI Jounal - May 1974)